EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY for TEACHERS
Employment Status: Full-Time Regular
Classification Level: $50,464 – $118,955 (Based on QECO and Years Experience)
Department: Education – Lakeview School (K – Grade 8)
➢ Pension: Ontario Teacher’s Pension Plan
➢ Benefits: Extended Health, Dental and Life
M’Chigeeng First Nation – Lakeview School is seeking passionate elementary teachers to engage students and deliver exceptional learning experiences. We offer SK-Gr 8 classes and follow the Ontario curriculum. Staff work as part of a collaborative team to infuse Anishinabek history, culture, and perspectives, and make curriculum come alive. We offer very competitive salary and benefits, a generous amount of prep-time and low-class ratios. Staff are encouraged to participate in extracurricular activities and become part of a vibrant school community.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Teachers are supervised by the principal and vice-principal of Lakeview School.
- Prepare long-range, unit and lesson plans which follow Ontario curriculum guidelines.
- Work collaboratively with staff and principal to select current and appropriate teaching materials which infuse Anishinaabe values, language, culture, history, and perspectives.
- Ensure a safe, healthy, and secure learning environment.
- Instill a love of life-long learning and maintain a positive learning environment where students build self-esteem and show respect for themselves, peers, and adults.
- Provide student activities which promote physical, mental, and social development.
- Maintain records of student progress, attendance and lates, and report progress to parents /guardians and the principal (e.g., report cards, interviews, ongoing communication).
- Help identify students who require assistance and collaborate with the special education team to implement Individualized Education Program (IEP) requirements.
- Meet with teacher assistants (where applicable) and language teachers to provide information about student learning needs, accommodations, and support-strategies.
- Build positive relationships with parents, educational partners and the community-at-large.
- Promote the mission and vision of Lakeview School and M’Chigeeng First Nation.
- Model behavior that promotes Anishinaabe values, including the seven Grandfather teachings: wisdom, love, respect, bravery, honesty, humility, and truth.
- Help to organize, supervise and /or participate in extra-curricular activities.
- Maintain balance and objectivity when topics of race, politics or religion arise.
- Provide daily lesson plans and learning materials for supply teachers when absent.
- Participate in staff meetings, PA Days, and training to enhance professional learning.
- Bachelor of Education Degree
- Valid Ontario College of Teachers Certificate (or eligibility for)
- A Police Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC) dated within 6 months is a condition of employment.
- An up to date QECO Rating and Years of Experience Letter must be submitted upon hire.
- Canadian citizenship or eligibility to work and teach in Canada/Ontario.
START DATE: MONDAY AUGUST 28, 2023
- Understanding and fluency in Anishinaabemowin is a strong asset; or must be willing to learn.
- Experience with integrating Indigenous language and culture into curriculum.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and willingness to work collaboratively within a strong team environment.
- A team player committed to student success.
Application Closing Date: June 6th, 2023, at 12:00 p.m.
Interested applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, education certifications, three (3) references contact information (two professional and one character) addressed to:
CONFIDENTIAL: TEACHER POSITIONS
c/o Human Resources
M’Chigeeng First Nation, P.O. Box 333
M’Chigeeng, ON P0P 1G0
Tel: 705-377-5362 Fax: 705-377-4980
Miigwetch for your interest, however, only applicants selected for an interview, will be contacted.