Aanii M’Chigeeng Community Members,
The M’Chigeeng Anishinaabek Belonging Law 2019 Applications are now available, we wish to remind you of the ongoing opportunity to apply for Citizenship within our community.
Who Can Apply:
Under the M’Chigeeng Anishinaabek Belonging Law, Citizenship is open to the following individuals:
Under Section 4 – Persons Entitled to citizenship as of Right.
Under Section 5 – People who may apply for citizenship and are not entitled to citizenship under section 4.
To apply for Citizenship under section 4:
- Download the Citizenship Application form from the M’Chigeeng First Nation website at https://mchigeeng.ca/citizenship.
- Physical application forms are also available at the Administration Office.
*Applicants will submit their application to the Citizenship Clerk by mail or in person on a “Private and Confidential” basis.
Note: Applicants under section 5 must have a sponsor.
- A Sponsor must fill out a section of the application supporting the applicant. They must a M’Chigeeng Citizen who lives on the reserve and who is at least 18 years old.
- Applicants who are accepted will be added to the Citizenship Register as a Pending Citizen.
- A Pending Citizen – must wait 2 years to become a full Citizen. They are allowed to live on M’Chigeeng’s reserve lands, but cannot be granted reserve land, housing, voting rights, or other benefits as determined by Chief and Council.
- After the two-year provisionary period, they will be a Citizen of M’Chigeeng.
For comprehensive information on eligibility, application, and responsibilities, please consult the full M’Chigeeng Anishinaabek Belonging Law available on our website.
Chi-Miigwetch for your commitment to our community’s strength and unity.