Department: MFN Economic Development Corporation
Classification Level: Department Manager (DM-4)
Position Status: Term F/T (May lead to Regular Full-Time)
The Economic Development General (EDG) Manager is a senior position performing at an executive level; formulating strategic plans related to economic development, expanding and diversifying the economy of the community. The position is complex and diversified in carrying out initiatives, developing, organizing, planning, coordinating and directing operations and activities of the Economic Development Corporation; in which the EDG Manager will be responsible for developing its goals while providing business support services. A visionary and respected business leader experience in for-profit businesses and is results-oriented with combined education to strategically foster growth and economic development initiatives to create employment opportunities for band membership.
The EDG Manager will strive on strong working relationships with Chief and Council, community businesses, band members, senior business executives and municipal, provincial and federal government program officials. This role appeals to a dedicated professional directed toward business development initiatives and leadership in strategic planning of existing businesses; having the ability to formulate and execute major business development initiatives, projects, policies and programs and ensure accountability, transparency and sustainability of the organization’s growth and profitability.
Reporting Relationship & Scope of Authority
The EDG Manager will report to and will work under the direction of the Economic Development Corporation Board of Directors; and will exercise a high degree of independent judgment, action in development, interprets and applies policies and implements initiatives.
Economic & Business Development
- Ability to develop an Economic Development corporation and a comprehensive sustainable economic development strategy
- Provides leadership in the development, maintenance, and implementation of the strategic plan and identify priorities for the Economic Development Corporation; business counselling support and entrepreneurial related activities
- Ability to support new and existing businesses owned by the M’Chigeeng FN members; assistance to establish new business ventures and expansion of businesses for the benefit of the MFN
- Ensure due diligence is completed for business venture opportunities, by conducting preliminary review to access viability, initiates and prepares the development of applications for funding for feasibility and business planning
- Provides business venture implementation by acquiring business support, investment specialists, external services (Legal/Consulting/Engineering Services, etc.) consistent with EDC Board of Directors strategic plan and operational work plan
Research & Tourism Development
- Researches and prepares economic, demographic, market, statistical, financial, policy, and other reports
- Prepare and disseminates information of availability of land, buildings, and other resources conducive to promotion of businesses
- Assist the Board of Directors in preparing a tourism strategy
- Forming Partnerships & Liaison
- Understand Federal and Provincial legislation pertaining to business and public policy to ensure successful seeking of funding for Economic Development initiatives
- Advising Board of Directors of opportunities to develop and expand corporation’s investments, services, and business ventures
- Acts as a facilitator between proponents, potential investors, and/or senior government officials to secure equity, assistance and expertise to realize a successful business initiative, start-up, expansion, and increase probability for success
- Maintain membership/association with the Board, OFNEDA, GSCT, Waubetek Business Development Corporation, municipal governments, First Nation communities, and participates in regional economic planning activities, tradeshows, etc.
Promotion Marketing & Administration
- Ability to work independently to manage the daily operations of the Corporation and lead, develop, and inspire a diverse team of technical, administrative, and service delivery
- Preparing and analyzing business plans and proposals, financial forecasts, feasibility studies for presentation to board of directors, Chief and Council, potential business partners, government officials, and lending institutions.
- Promotes local business development by engaging existing local business entrepreneurs and providing business development workshops and training based on identified needs
- Ensures the preparation of all documents and reports generated by the Economic Development Corporation are completed and submitted within a timely manner
- Attend and present agenda, minutes, and reports at Board of Director meetings/Shareholder meetings and AGM
- Preparation, promotion and maintenance of marketing materials including: Community profile, investment profile, tourism, community business directory, website, etc.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Minimum, Post-Secondary education in business or related field of study with a minimum of seven (7) year of experience in business and economic development or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Essential general management skills, including financial management and budgeting, strategic planning, business development, marketing, human resources management
- Extensive knowledge and experience in business and financial acumen would be strong assets; and knowledge of principles, theories, and practices of economic development and business management; and area labour force and market demands
- Preferred, University degree in related discipline (Economic Development, Commerce, Business Administration, or Marketing)
- Other, Demonstrated senior management, supervisory and administrative skills to develop and implement strategic and financial planning, policy development (corporate, business, investment criteria) and quality control and risk management abilities
- Extensive experience preparing and analyzing business plans and proposals, financial forecasts, feasibility studies, etc.
- Strong organizational and project management skills with ability to efficiently handle and administer multiple projects
- Knowledge of internal and external challenges (First Nation issues, government changes, labour market, market, funding changes)
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills and high degree of public relations experience
- Must have excellent conflict resolution, problem solving and analytical skills; maintain strict confidentiality at all times
- Understanding of culture and customs and fluency of Ojibwe language are strong assets
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- It is mandatory for the successful candidate to submit a current thirty (30 day) day CRC, must be original or certified copy. Offer of employment will be subject to receipt of a satisfactory clear CRC record.
CRC Rationale – The M’Chigeeng First Nation is committed to providing a safe and secure work environment, is in a position of trust and must strive to maintain the provision of a safe and secure environment. Therefore, candidates must have a record clear of any occurrences and convictions relating to alcohol and drug involvement, fraud, theft and assault related convictions.
Interested applicants please submit cover letter, resume and three (3) current written work-related references and Education certification by FRIDAY MAY 3, 2013 at 4:00P.M. to:
Attn: Economic Development General Manager
c/o Chief Administrative Officer
M’Chigeeng First Nation
P.O. Box 333, M’CHIGEENG, ON P0P 1G0